Friday, July 2, 2010

1/7

Hi there, here I am once again. On the day which cuts the year into half. Wished Sheue Li birthday yesterday and she said that she visits my blog. Indeed she’s one of the must-read-my-blog candidates in my mind. Actually, all candidates in my mind are following. So, I’m feeling extremely contented. Therefore, there’s a big chance that I’m switching this into private. As you know previously I was concerned if she’s reading it. If not, and I simply invite her to my blog, it would seem awkward, to me la. So depending on how things turn out, I might be sending please-read-my-blog invitations to you guys soon, wish me LUCK.

And ya, I’m turning over a new leaf, switching back to my second language. As I can see a downward sloping trend for my English. There’s one thing that I kept forgetting to mention here. It happened on 23rd June if not mistaken. I created a new Thai dish, called “wakaka”. The story goes...

Once upon a time, a bunch of people went for an outing in one mildly cold winter and the noisiest brat, Ah Chuen said let’s go for Freddo (ice-cream)!!! As nobody opposed (he never lets the others to oppose his suggestions, domineering I know), they started walking towards the ice-cream shop. Out of a sudden, there was one who said “why don’t we go to Ying Thai” (Thai cuisine restaurant)? It was also a fantastic suggestion, so Domineering Ah Chuen said, “No problem! I’ve never been there!”. And so not long after that, they reached the shop and began exploring the menu. And suddenly as if lightning struck his head, Ah Chuen said, “I heard from a senior that there’s a nice dish here, but I am not sure about the name. I think its something like wakaka.” And so the search began, though there were only two people who were searching for it, the rest were smart enough to notice there’s no such dish named “wakaka” that exists in this world. And so eventually Ah Chuen gave up and said “I don’t want to order, y’all decide”. But to his surprise one of his comrades, Yin Shia was still searching for “WAKAKA” in the menu...
I decide to leave the story like this, sounds funnier... Btw, sorry for mentioning names, my bad... Haha. Well, if you’ve been MSNing with me during the older days, I had been using wakaka quite frequently and so I mixed it up with the name of the dish, its name is supposed to be something related to pattaya.

Ok, done with the story time. Lets continue with my routine  daily reports!

Think I mentioned something about reading other people’s blog, its really awesome. Think it will become my new pastime. Especially when those bloggers are Malaysians, with fantastic English! I know my writing skills and creativity still have rooms for improvement, and I’m sure I can improve by reading articles wrote by veteran bloggers. If you have great blogging skills, reading it would be as if you are living the blogger’s life!!! So that’s my aim for the next half year. Who said we cant have half-year resolutions, since I failed to achieve most of my 2010 new year resolutions. Guess there’s still a lot of things to work with!

Btw, just signed up to be a volunteer for the coming marathon on 18th July 10. Think its gonna be something really fun. Why am I not joining you might ask, coz its really expensive. I would rather cheer for them. This marathon activity reminds me of the marathon event that was held last time, when I was still at Taylor’s. Though I didn’t join it (wonder why I didn’t?), it was fun listening to their stories about the event! When I’m back in Malaysia, I would surely want to take part in this kind of activity.

And sometimes you do need pictures to tell you that you’ve grown! A cousin uploaded a picture that was taken ages ago (no one is able to tell when was it taken), I am quite persistent that it was taken around 10 years ago though. As I looked much more childish back then, I know I’m still quite childish now, no need to remind me that... Though I promised to post two of my pictures when I was very ugly, I was just too lazy to do so, not because I don’t want to embarrass myself. Wait for a little longer, as I’m suspended from using the lab’s computer (due to over-watching of variety shows and dramas). However, I can still gain access to the internet from other places that have computers. But if I were to upload the pictures there, many people would be seeing me doing so, which is super duper embarrassing. So, maybe next week I think.

The next random issue that I want to grumble about, “WHY KIDS NOWADAYS HAVE TO LEARN SOMETHING SO HARD”? People who are interested can write a generic essay and pass it to your English teacher, worth writing. As many may be aware of, there’s a variety show called “Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?”, think its categorized under variety shows although its highly taxing... And so I was watching the Hong Kong version of the show, great ideas are meant to be shared among different countries. Maybe one day Malaysians would be watching, “Adakah anda secerdik budak Darjah Lima”. Back to the main topic, the questions were totally INSANE... Not to say that some of them are not applicable in real life, but I wonder why primary students need to understand all these?

Before watching the show, I thought Malaysian and Singaporeans parents are pressurizing their children with lotsa tuition classes (academic + non-academic). But I was wrong about that, the correct way of saying it is parents over the whole world are pressurizing their children with tonnes things to do. Please don’t think that I am whining about this because I am not knowledgeable enough (Yes, I do know that I’m not knowledgeable), but are children nowadays learning too much than what they are supposed to know? I know this is worth debating, but personally I would think learning too much does not help sometimes... For instance, children may be discouraged to learn what they are actually interested in if the syllabus gets too difficult. For example, if there’s a kid who’s interested in becoming an astronaut and you start bombarding the brat with the formation of milky way or the distance between Jupiter and the Earth when he/she is only 8 years old, do you think they still want to know more about the space?

Obviously many would beg to differ with my opinion, but if I were to meet these kids, I would tell them stories about aliens. WAKAKA, its nothing wrong to mix fictions with facts to boost interests, I am not saying to lie to them of course. I still remember during my primary school days, when I attended computer class, we were learning how to operate word, excel and a little of power point if not mistaken. But they are learning how many kilobytes is a micro byte. I know we have to improve the syllabus with accordance to the progress of the society, but isn’t is too hard for the youngsters?

Done talking about stressing issues. To end, I want to wish everyone Happy Later-Half 2010!!!

PS: Think I’ve forgotten about a lot of things to talk again, next time I will write them down before typing them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment